Your mission (whether you choose to accept it or not :)
- Profusely annotate The Old Man and the Sea and discuss with your team.
- Choose the best examples of each type of symbolism for a research card to refute Hemingway's quote: "There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is s--- " --Hemingway, on symbolism in The Old Man and the Sea.
- Organize your cards into an essay.
- Extra Credit? Write the essay.
- Annotations and cards due: tent. 4/28-29
Last, but not least...Existentialism and symbolism in modern media. Watch the (edited) Matrix looking for symbolism and comparing it to The Old Man and the Sea.